Thursday, August 2, 2012

Don't You Remember?*

Recently, my mom, H, came home from a business trip. She told me about a little baby girl on the plane. She would play-peek-a-boo, smile, and be friendly with my mom. After she had a nap, my mom smiled at the baby girl, whose eyes where like that of a child looking at a stranger. Today's post is on forgetting things as easily as that baby girl on the plane.

 If I could forget on as fast a clip as the little girl, I would not remember times when I was sick or hurt, when I did something wrong, when I missed a friend, when I wallowed in self-pity, when I cried to let things I didn't want inside me out, and when I felt lonely, but tried to convince myself I was actually alone (big difference). 

Neither would I remember all of the joyful times in my life : the things that  happen to make my day, the many small things I sometimes don't notice that cannot be put into a bottle (or a blog post) for display, but will always remain in my head as things I never want to forget. I think it's okay that I remember bad things so I can try to learn from them and learn how to get over things not going my way.

I'd love to have "selective" baby-memory, even though I know that it's wishful thinking, that I can't have everything (but I can dream, can't I?). So guess I feel bad for the little baby girl who can't remember spending part of her plane ride smiling to people. But soon she will grow up, and have a lot to remember, experiences, that will make her, her. 

*The title is the name of a song by Adele

No comments:

Post a Comment